Windows 7 Support
Have you ever wondered what makes an operating system safe from latest security threats and spywares? Most of us have the idea that installing an antivirus program is all. But, if you don’t apply the latest Windows Updates from Microsoft, whatever extra measures you take to improve your PC security become useless. Windows update is the foundation of an operating system’s security.
Windows Update for Windows 7
Microsoft rolls out free Windows Update to all operating systems that are eligible for support. As per Microsoft’s support policy, an operating system will receive five years of mainstream support and another five years of extended support. Windows Updates are rolled out for free during the extended support period too. According to Windows 7 help desk, Windows 7 OS will receive mainstream support until 2015 and extended support until 2020. It means free Windows Update will be rolled out for Windows 7 until 2020.
Windows Update options
Although Microsoft mandates that users should download and install Windows updates, it gives users the freedom to choose among multiple Windows Update options. Users are free to decide when they should download Windows updates. They can even choose not to install Windows Updates at all. If you have a faster internet connection with an unlimited data package, it is advisable to enable Automatic Windows update. Doing so, you don’t have to worry about Windows update at all. The following steps explain how to check for Windows update manually. After discovering necessary updates, you can download and install them as you wish.
- Go to the Start button and choose All Programs from the dropdown menu.
- Select Windows Update from the All Programs list.
- In the Windows Update window, select the link that says Check for Updates. You can spot the link on the left side of the screen.
Windows 7 Help Desk
- Windows will be initiated now to search for available updates. After locating necessary updates, Windows will list them down under two different categories- Optional and Important.
- Click the link next to the Important updates you want to apply and select Apply.
- Once you are done with the selection, select OK followed by Install updates.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
Upon the completion of the installation of the updates, you may be required to restart your PC. Make sure that the PC is restarted. This is important to let the changes you have made in your PC to take effect. If you still have any concerns left with regard to Windows Update in Windows 7, get in touch with our Windows 7 help desk.
Read more »